Saturday, January 28, 2006

End of the Spear



I saw the End of the Spear last week. The movie was even better than I had expected. It is well done and tells a timeless story of redemption and forgiveness.

The movie has also generated some discussion regarding the casting of Chad Allen as Nate and Steve Saint. Chad is a gay rights activist and many Christians have been critical of his inclusion in the movie.

Regardless of where you fall on the issue, I encourage you to read the Christianity Today article that explains how the decision was made. Steve Saint takes responsibility for the decision and describes how God led him to keep Chad Allen on the project.

And then Steve Saint makes this incredible statement:
"It is hard to see people have to defend a decision that I was responsible for, for people to have ugly things said about them because of a decision I made. But I have total peace about the decision, and that Chad Allen was the man God intended to act in the movie. I knew that there would be a price to pay for any position I would take on this issue, regardless of the fact that I had not wanted to be involved. I knew one thing for sure: I would rather face the anger and even hatred of people who feel I have let them down, than to take any chance of having to stand before my Savior and have to answer for messing up his plans for Chad."

Steve is more concened for Chad's salvation than for the reaction of angry Christians. After seeing the movie I'm not surprised at Steve's response. Pray that God would use this movie to touch the hearts those who are lost without Christ. I went to the End of the Spear thinking I was going to see a movie about five missionary families. I soon realized that the movie is more about the darkness of the human heart without Christ and how God is able to transform a life that is fully surrendered to Him.

God gave His one and only Son for me, even when I was still lost in my sin. Nate Saint and his family have given their lives for the Waodani people, seeing many come to Christ. Might the message of the cross so mark our lives that we would follow in His steps and that all would know that we are His disciples by our love.

1 comment:

wingman said...

I appreciate your comments, Kim. I wrote a response to some who have accused that "EOS" does not contain the gospel. Here's a link if you care to take a look:
http://brokenfeathers.blogspot.com/2006/01/recognizing-gospel.html