Friday, December 26, 2008

The Bottom of the 9th



Tom Rinaldi from ESPN has done another incredible human interest story from the field of sports. He is the best story teller I have ever heard. This piece on John Challis is a must see.

The John Challis story was brought to the nations attention after Mike White from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote a great article that was published May 4, 2008. John Challis was diagnosed with cancer on June 23, 2006. He was only given several months to live. He exceeded doctors expectations before passing away August 18 of this year.

John Challis was an ordinary young man who determined to use his circumstance for good. Here is what he had to say about his view of life.

"Sometimes I cry, but people cry for all different kinds of reasons," he said. "Sometimes I just want to know why, but I think I figured that out. God wanted me to get sick because he knew I was strong enough to handle it. I'm spreading His word and my message. By doing that, I'm doing what God put me here to do."

In a little over two years, John Challis touched thousands of lives. Over 1500 attended the visitation after his death. Mike White wrote about the visitation and funeral service and the impact John Challis had on his own personal life. Tom Rinaldi and an ESPN producer attended the funeral, not for professional but personal reasons.

John Challis spent most of his final 2 1/2 years thinking about how to impact others. He was mature beyond his years. John's final act of selflessness occurred during his own funeral service.

Before he died, John asked Joe Signore, a close friend of the family, to give his eulogy. But John had made Mr. Signore promise he would do one thing at the funeral. Mr. Signore asked John's younger sister, Lexie, and his mother and father to leave their first-row pew and come to the front of the church. "Lexie, Gina, Scott. John made me promise to do this," he said. "He told me that you had gotten so many people to applaud him. Now it's your turn." At once, everyone rose and gave the Challises a standing ovation.

Even at his funeral service, John Challis wanted the focus of attention placed on others. John Challis was an incredible young man who knew how to live, and knew how to die. He stands as an inspiration to every person who is ten runs down going into the bottom of the 9th inning.

2 comments:

Tye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tye said...

I wish you could say the some thing about the jazz world, or the whole music world for that matter. Perhaps there are people who want to make a difference to their fellow humans but we don't know about it.

This really got me thinking. Thanks for sharing.