Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Great Adventure











Today is my birthday and wedding anniversary, all rolled up in one! Days like this invite me to ponder and reflect - reflect on the past, where I'm going, God's goodness and sovereign leading.

The movie Up best captures this season of life for Sharon and myself. We both love this movie! Up is a metaphor for how Sharon and I want to live the rest of our lives - shedding those things from our past that hold us back, enjoying each day as a gift from God, and pursuing the great adventure He has for us!

The pivotal moment in the movie for me is when Carl stomps into his house, the house that he has been dragging behind him in his pursuit of Paradise Falls. His is mad at Russell. He is tired from his long journey. He reaches his destination only to find that he is all alone. Alone with his stuff. The quest has left him empty, tired and alone.

Then Carl discovers Ellie's photo album. He thumbs through it and learns that Ellie lived her adventure. Ellie's life was full and satisfying. Ellie never reached Paradise Falls but she lived her dream.

And then Carl reads these words from Ellie that transforms his life. Thanks for the Adventure ~ now go have a new one!

Carl throws a piece of furniture out the door of his house in anger and disgust. And in the process, he realizes that his "stuff" is what's holding him back from pursuing his new adventure. He begins to shed the extra weight, pitching furniture, photos, and memories out the door. The stuff Carl pitches are treasures from his past, but they won't be needed on his new adventure. In fact, to insistently hang on to the past is to lug around extra weight that holds us back from reaching our new future.

Sharon and I are so thankful for our past. We're thankful for God's goodness to us. But as our children grow, leave home, get married and begin their own lives, it's important that Sharon and I continue to grow and move forward. As much as we love to reminisce about the past, the past is over and we no longer live there. The past is meant to fuel our future.

So today, I'm thankful for God's faithfulness. I'm thankful that 33 years ago Sharon said "yes!" I'm thankful for four incredible sons and two awesome daughters-in-law.

But I'm also thankful that God has a new adventure in store for Sharon and I together. That the best is yet to come. That our adventure isn't just a goal to achieve, but a daily way of life to fully enjoy in the present. As Russell says: "Sometimes it's the boring stuff I remember the most!"

Today, I'm thankful for Sharon and our great adventure!

During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me." Exodus 12:31-32

1 comment:

Rett said...

Just read this blog and I love it! I know our kids are still home and relatively small--but they are growing up fast! Sometimes it makes my heart hurt to imagine the season of life you and Sharon are now in. Thank you for the reminder that all of life is a great adventure. I am so happy to be married to someone I enjoy even more than my kids and that will help ensure the best days are always ahead of us.