Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Days


In 2005 Steve Jobs stated that he looks in the mirror every morning and asks himself, "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" This is a great question.

On Thursday, April 26 I accompanied my father to several medical appointments here in Cedar Rapids. He had called the day before and asked me if I could go to the appointments with him. My father is very independent and he never makes a request like this. So I cleared my calendar and met him the next morning at the urologists office.

Later in the day we met with oncologist Dr. Kutteh. In a matter of 30 minutes our world was turned upside down. Dr. Kutteh read off my father's blood numbers and wasted no time in delivering the devastating news ... acute leukemia ... days to several weeks to live ... I can't allow you to drive home ... do you have a place where you can stay here in Cedar Rapids ... would you like me to set up an appointment with hospice ... we will keep you comfortable.

We brought my father home to live with us. Three days later he was admitted to the Oldorf Hospice House in Hiawatha. At 10:00 AM on Tuesday, May 15, my father shed his earthly tent and was welcomed to his new eternal home!

Days! The word rang in my ears. Days ... Days ... Days. What would I do, what would I say if this was the last day of my life? What would I do, what would I say if this was the last day I would see my father?

In God's providence, we were given not one day, but 19. 19 days, some too short, some very long. Days filled with expressions of love, laughter, tears, sorrow, joy and hugs. For 19 days life seemed to stand still. I arose each morning wondering if this day would be my father's last. 19 days of crystal clear focus. 19 days of eternal perspective. Today may be my father's last day to live. Today may be the last chance I have to tell my father how much I love him. Today may be the last time I get to sit in the same room with my father and enjoy his presence. Today is all that matters.

Nothing in life can adequately prepare you for a moment like this. God's presence walked with us and His grace surrounded us. God gives good gifts to His children. The gift of time ... presence ... family ... friends ... days. All sweet gifts. All received with a grateful heart. Thankful for just one more day.

For those who are interested, the visitation and memorial service will both be at the Kruse Phillips Funeral Home in Tama, Iowa. The visitation will be on Sunday, May 20 from 4:00-7:00 PM. The memorial service will be on Monday, May 21 at 10:30 AM. The graveside service and lunch will follow.

The lunch will be held at the Reinig Community Center in Toledo. In lieu of flowers, we request that gifts be made to the Hospice of Mercy in Cedar Rapids.

If you are traveling to Tama on highway 30, please note that the new bypass may not appear on your GPS. Traveling from the east, take the first exit for business 30 and then proceed to the funeral home.

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12

8 comments:

Linda Jenkins said...

This is such a moving picture of the last days you had with your Dad. What a great picture of a family walking through those last days. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Kim Pagel said...

Thanks Linda. You know all about walking this path with a parent. God's grace is sufficient.

buddy burton photography said...

Hey Kim:

I never had to walk that path when my mom died. She passed suddenly when she was 27 and I was 8 years old. That painful scar still lives with me to this day, but I know she has a heavenly home this day. This is how I have survived after all these years.

Kim, you are loved.

Arliss Bailey said...

Kim,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart and words with us. I was blessed to read about your dad's journey and your time with him. You will always cherish those last days and you will always remember that about him. Blessings to you and Sharon and your family in the days ahead. Thanks again for sharing with us.
Arliss

Kim Pagel said...

Thanks Buddy. Your mom would be so proud of you and your family. Thanks for your servant heart.

Tye said...

The coming days will be filled with joy and sorrow and I pray that the God of grace and comfort will encourage and sustain you. Tye

Bernadine said...

Kim;

Thanks so much for sharing the gift God gave you and your family of crystal clear focus in the midst of such difficult news, and the faithfulness of Gods presence in the circumstances......do you suppose your dad will have a garden in heaven like the one he had here? My dad loved to garden, maybe they will garden next to each other :)

Blessings to you and yours.....

Anonymous said...

Steve Jobs believed in building his products in Chinese sweat shops with low or no pay for the workers. He also believed in doing his accounting through Ireland where he paid nearly no U.S. Taxes. He also believed in taking the billions from the American consumer and parking the profits offshore.

I hope he isn't your role model but somehow I think he is.