Sunday, September 18, 2005

Wholehearted Worshiper


Surrender

We had a great Friends Class today with over 20 people in the morning and evening classes. Our topic today was being a Wholehearted Worshiper. We took a look at Luke 14:27-33 and about what it means to take up our cross daily to follow Christ.

To me, the open hands are a metaphor for surrender. Worship is the surrender of my entire life to Christ in response to God's grace. Wholehearted worshippers surrender their rights, ownership of all that they have, and their very lives to Christ. To worship without surrender is hypocrisy.

Worship is a lifestyle that seeks to honor Christ through my daily decisions. Division over music styles and preferential forms of worship have less to do with worship and more to do with consumerism. I have certain styles and types of music that I especially enjoy. There is nothing wrong with having preferences. The problem comes when I begin to define worship by my experiences and preferences.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that I care less about style and more about substance. I want to be around people who know how to worship with all their heart. I want to become a wholehearted worshiper.

So let me ask you, what are you learning about worship and surrender? What spiritual disciplines help you maintain an attitude and heart of surrender?

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2

No comments: