Saturday, June 07, 2008

I'm Published!



I just had one of my photos published for the first time and I'm pretty excited. An editor from the Chicago Marathon emailed me several months ago to ask my permission to use one of the photos I took at the 2007 race. I wrote about the marathon last year on a post called 26.2.

I totally forgot about the request until Jason called me this week to tell me that he just received his copy of the Chicago Marathon Results Book and that one of my photos was used. They printed the photo I took of Amy Palmiero Winters and enlarged it on a full-page spread. And of course they credited me with the photo! Pretty exciting!

I was so impressed with Amy Palmiero Winters. I took this photo at a spot in Chinatown, about 21 miles into the race. The humidity and temperatures were sweltering that day and people were dropping out of the race right and left. In fact, one runner did die on the course and race organizers cut the race short because of dangerous conditions.

Amy was running like the race had just begun. She was smiling and waving to the crowd. I couldn't believe it. She finished with a time of 3:23:14, very good under the conditions. You can read more about her at her website See Amy Run.

An above-the-knee amputee running a marathon in horrible conditions. Amy had plenty of reasons to quit, complain or feel sorry for herself. Instead she chose to compete, wave to the crowd and enjoy the experience. All of a sudden a photograph doesn't seem like such a big deal. I took the picture but Amy is the inspiration!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Awesome Kim. I remember that pic and have been to her web site.