Monday, June 16, 2008

My Daily Bread



It was a great day today. Over 75 volunteers worked together distributed over 2 1/2 semi-truck loads of water today to the public. I learned on Sunday afternoon that Serve the City wanted New Covenant to take the responsibility for staffing the water distribution site at Sams.

Over two hundred people filled out volunteer forms on Sunday at New Covenant. I handed the forms off to Arliss Bailey, and with the help of Austin Spooner, Arliss input all the data in our Arena data base. Arliss and several others began calling those who indicated an interest in volunteering, and by Sunday evening we had all three shifts for Monday staffed up.

Kudos to Arliss, Austin, those who made phone calls and all from our church family who distributed water on Monday. You all did a great job. I couldn't be more proud of New Covenant and all those who served today! And, we have another great team scheduled to begin work tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. You can click on the picture above to see a slide show of the day.

We heard countless stories of loss and devastation. I talked to one man who came to pick up water with his adult son. His house is still under water. He said he made his last house payment last March. One of our volunteers and her husband recently moved to Cedar Rapids. They purchased a boat house to live in during the summer. They can't find any trace of the boat house. It's gone with all their belongings. They are without a home.

Serving like this in a time of need helps to keep life in perspective. We have so much and take so much for granted. Reflecting back on the day, I'm reminded of Proverbs 30:7-9

Two things I ask of you, O Lord;
do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

No comments: