Monday, July 18, 2011

Best Men


I'm the richest man in the world! Four sons and a wife who love me for who I am. I can't even begin to express my satisfaction and gratefulness. By grace, God has made me a participant in His story.

Part of my story is the two guys you see above. 23 years ago our lives changed for ever. We went from a family of four to a family of six overnight. Being the father of four boys has brought the best and worst out of me. And it's made me acutely aware that I'm in need of God's grace.

Josh and Jon have brought, and continue to bring, joy to our lives. Our prayer when they were small is that they would grow up to be friends. One of the first words they learned was "cooperate!" And over the years their commitment to pursuing Christ and His mission has only brought them closer.

Josh and Jon are becoming awesome young men. You make me proud. I'm honored to be called your pops!

And just as 23 years ago when our family changed for ever, our family is changing again. In October of this year, Sharon and I will officially become "empty nesters."All four of our sons will be married and on their own!

And so our life comes full circle. It's Sharon and me, four awesome daughters in law, a heart full of hopes and dreams, and new opportunities to trust God. We are leaving one season of life behind in order to press into this new one.

And our boys? Ryan and Natalie are pursuing what God has for them in Oklahoma. Jason and Erin are trusting God for their future direction in Colorado. I'm proud of each of you and the journey of faith you have chosen to pursue.

And Josh and Jon? This summer Josh asked Jon to be his best man as he and Diana shared their vows in Hornick, Iowa. And this fall, Josh will exchange the favor and will be the best man in Jon and Trista's wedding in Johnston, Iowa. Two brothers standing shoulder to shoulder. Much has transpired the last 23 years. But one thing remains the same - Josh and Jon, you're still best men!

No comments: