Saturday, June 11, 2005

A Prepared Bride


Tyler and Erin

It was my privilege to officiate the wedding ceremony for Tyler and Erin today. As you can see from the photo, they were all smiles. There were a few tears shed and a few moments of humor - like when the unity candle wouldn't light! But it all worked out in the end, and I was able to pronounce them husband and wife. We all enjoyed a wonderful reception afterwards complete with a wedding cake on each table.

It makes me wonder what the wedding ceremony in heaven will be like. Who will be there? What will we wear? The preparations are being made, the invitations have gone out and the ceremony is about to begin. Revelation 19:9 says blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb. What a celebration it will be. John had a vision and saw the new Jerusalem coming down out of heaven, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And he heard a loud voice saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God."

His invitation is a simple one. The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. Whoever hears the invitation is invited. This is one party that you won't want to miss. Admission is open to all who place their faith and trust in Jesus Christ. The invitation to us today is come. Don't delay, don't make excuses, don't refuse the call of Christ. Don't be left on the outside looking in. There is always room for one more person.

1 comment:

Chris said...

How awesome to think about what that marriage celebration will be like! The joys of this life are just a taste - only a shadow - of the permanent, unchanging joys of Heaven!

Where no one is hungry,
no one is cold;
No one will weep
or will ever grow old.
No one will die
and leave someone alone -
That's when I'll know -

I'm home, forever,
no pain, no disease.
All will be equals,
and all will be free!
True Love will come
and we'll fall at his feet!
That's when I'll know -
That's when I'll know - I'm home!


These lyrics, from "That's When I'll Know I'm Home (Geoff Moore and the Distance, Evolution) sometimes move me to tears as I think about the beauty of being forever united with our Heavenly husband in a place untainted by sin. In Heaven, the honeymoon will never end!

I love reading these blogs - thanks Kim!

-Chris