Monday, June 20, 2005

A Waste of Space

Sharon recently asked Ryan if he wanted his old zip drive. Do you remember those ancient storage devices? It was “high tech” six years ago when I bought it for Ryan. I was amazed to think that you could get a full 100 megabytes of data on just one disk. Wow, how times have changed! In just that past few years we have moved from the 5” floppy, to the 3 ½” floppy, to the zip drive, to the CD, to the DVD and now the USB flash drive.

Ryan took one look at the oversize drive and replied, “No, I don’t want it. My little USB flash drive holds five times as much data. You can throw it away; it’s a waste of space!”

The phrase, “it’s a waste of space” began to ring in my ear. From an ergonomic standpoint, the USB drive is a more economical use of space. It’s more efficient and easy to use. And did I mention that you get five times the storage capacity for one third the cost? I don’t even like to think about what I paid for that zip drive!

It’s sort of like life. Am I creating space for others by allowing the love of Christ to flow through me, or am I taking up space by consuming the resources around me? Am I a giver or a taker? Do I create opportunities for others or consume them on myself?

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to waste the space God has given to me. By the grace of God, I want to be a blessing to my family, my church and my community. Have you noticed that life doesn’t stand still? And we must be constantly growing in our relationship with Christ if we want to serve God in our generation. We can’t expect to try and serve up yesterday’s blessings for tomorrow’s spiritual needs. What a waste of space!

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:38

No comments: