Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Best Is Yet To Come



Yesterday was my 15th anniversary for being at New Covenant. I arrived in Cedar Rapids by myself on August 12, 1991, prepared to embark on a new adventure. I returned to Syracuse on Labor Day to drive Sharon and the boys to Cedar Rapids. We lived in the the Snodgrass's mission house until October 1 when we closed on our home on 544 Greenfield Street. The picture above was published in the Gazette to announce my hiring.

Wow, a lot has changed in the last 15 years at New Covenant!
  • Betty was the only secretary in the office.
  • There were three other Pastors, all of which left during the next two years!
  • There were two Sunday morning worship services in the Activity Center.
  • The church didn't own a computer and there was no email or internet.
  • There was one adult Sunday School class.
  • Vince Grondahl was the Chairman of the Elder Board and Randy Hartman was the Chairman of the Deacon Board.
  • All the church finances were handled by the Deacon of Finance from his home.
  • Mark Forstrom was hired one year later as Youth Pastor.

Over all the years, some things haven't changed.

  • Donuts and coffee served in the kitchen between the worship services.
  • The blue chairs and the four "pillars of the church" in the Activity Center.
  • The cute little Angels performing in the Christmas program.
  • New Covenant's commitment to the gospel and sound Biblical teaching.
  • Kids everywhere!

Over the 15 years I've also changed. I've gained some weight and have added some white hair! I'm hopefully a little wiser and a more experienced servant leader. My job description has changed, and I've served with three different Senior Pastors. And of course, Sharon has been a great partner that has supported me through the years.

It's exciting to be involved at New Covenant during this season of time. We have an awesome staff team, tremendous Deacon and Elder Boards, and a compelling mission and vision for the future. As great as the past 15 years have been, I'm convinced that the best is yet to come!

2 comments:

Mark E. Eades said...

hmmm... Nice picture. 1991 that would make you about ____ (number deleted)

Tye Male said...

I'm glad God brought you here 15 years ago! He knew that I would be coming here and would need a great executive pastor to work with!