Sunday, December 24, 2006

Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room



Christmas is my favorite time of year. I enjoy our Christmas tree, gift giving, family gatherings, the Christmas story, our Christmas eve worship service and Christmas carols. I never get tired of recalling the story of my Saviors birth. One of my favorite Christmas carols is Joy to the World. I especially enjoy verse one.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

I like the third line - Let every heart prepare Him room. The Christmas season is all about creating space. Space in my heart for God; space in my calendar for family and friends; space in my schedule for reflection and worship.

I'm thankful that God made space for me. He came to earth as baby and died in my place so that I might have life. His invitation to all who are seeking is "Come." And He is now in heaven preparing a place for all who place their trust in Him.

I'm thankful that on the first Christmas the Inn Keeper created room in his stable for a young couple far away from home. I'm thankful that God longs to dwell among us, right in the middle of our human condition. And I'm thankful that the Spirit of God took up residence in my heart many years ago when I called out to Him in faith and trust.

To all my family and friends, I wish you a very joyous Christmas. Let me encourage you to make room in your heart for our Savior this Christmas season.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12

No comments: