Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Amazing Grace



Sharon and I attended Amazing Grace tonight. I can sum the movie up with one word, "Amazing." I left the theater amazed at God's grace; amazed at the persistence and vision of William Wilberforce who was elected to the British Parliament at the age of 21 and fought tirelessly for the abolition of slave trade; amazed at the difference one person who is committed to Christ can have on an entire nation. I left the theater inspired to live a more noble life in response to God's amazing grace. William Wilberforce was truly a man who was unafraid to stand against the prevailing winds of culture in order to transform it.

I was especially moved by the relationship between John Newton, the teacher and pastor, and Wilberforce, the student. It's interesting that the fight to end the slave trade in Britain was not won by the power of debate or superior ideas, but by a change of tactics! Wilberforce had the humility and wisdom to listen to the advice of others, learning how to win the battle through cooperation and education. It's said that by the time the Slave Trade Act finally passed, public opinion of an entire nation had been swayed toword abolition. Wilberforce came to understand that in order to influence the behavior and policy of a people, you must first capture their hearts and minds.

Favorite lines from the movie include:

“There now. Remember that smell. Remember the Madagascar. Remember God made men equal.” Wilberforce

William Pitt, a long-time friend of Wilberforce tried to convince him to stay in Parliament because he's such a gifted orator, as seen in several debates on the floor. Pitt asks,"Will you use your beautiful voice to praise the Lord or change the world?"

John Newton said, "Two things I know - I am a great sinner and Christ is a great savior."

Wilberforce was tireless in his campaign against the slave trade. In April 1791, Wilberforce introduced the first Parliamentary Bill to abolish the slave trade, which was easily defeated by 163 votes to 88. Men of lesser faith or courage would have given up. It wasn't until March 25, 1807 that the bill was carried by 283 votes to 16 and the Slave Trade Act was finally approved. It is fitting that the movie opened in theaters 200 years later to the day!

And 200 years later we are still singing the wonders of God's Amazing Grace!

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
'Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Kim, I couldn't agree more with your assesment of this movie! It's one of the most inspirational movies I've seen in a while!