Sunday, April 08, 2007

Just A Midwest Boy From Iowa



Lightening struck at Augusta National Golf Course Sunday afternoon metaphorically speaking. The course beat the field up this week leading to the highest winning score at the Master since 1956. One golfer after another faltered and stumbled this afternoon, and at the end of the day, Zach Johnson stood alone as the 2007 Masters champion!

Zach staved off a late challenge by Tiger Woods on the back nine. It was the third time Woods lost a lead during the final round of a major, and the first time he failed to get it back.

In a moving ceremony in Butler Cabin, Phil Mickelson, last years winner, presented the fabled "green jacket" to Zach Johnson. During the presentation ceremony, Jim Nance commented to Zach, "You know that as Masters champion, your entire life will change." I love Zach's response! He told Jim Nance, "My professional life will change, but I will continue to be the same person as I was before winning the tournament. I've got supportive people around me who will see to that. I'm just a midwest boy from Iowa."

I had tears in my eyes as Zach spoke those words. I had the awesome privilege of hearing Zach and his wife Kim, speak at the Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet here in Cedar Rapids last year. Zach and Kim love Jesus Christ and want to honor him with their lives.

Zach is a champion in every sense of the word. He's a man who's followed his dreams, all the way from Cedar Rapids, Iowa to Augusta, Georgia. He's a man of humility and integrity. He's a man who has just reached the pinnacle of success in his profession. He's a man, who at the end of the day, is just a midwest boy from Iowa!

No comments: