Friday, April 13, 2007

Time To Take A Stand



By now you've heard more about the Don Imus story than you have ever wanted to know. I never listened to Don Imus, don't care for him or the values he represents. This post isn't about Don Imus but rather Vivian Stringer

I became acquainted with Vivian Stringer from afar when we moved back to Iowa in 1991. She was the University of Iowa women's basketball coach from 1983-1995. I admired her leadership, the way her teams played and most of all, the way she handled her husbands death in 1993.

But I'm not the only one who has admired Vivian Stringer's character and work. In recognition of her many accomplishments and service to the game, Stringer was inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame on June 9, 2001. She was named the National Coach of the Year three times by her peers. She also was named the 1993 Coach of the Year by Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Converse, the Los Angeles Times and the Black Coaches Association; the District V Coach of the Year in 1985, 1988 and 1993; the District I Coach of the Year in 1998; the Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1991 and 1993; the Big East Coach of the Year in 1998 and 2005; and the 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2005 Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Coach of the Year. One of her most personally-gratifying accolades is the 1993 Carol Eckman Award, which acknowledges the coach demonstrating spirit, courage, integrity, commitment, leadership and service to the game of women’s basketball.

A finalist for the Naismith National Coach of the Year Award five times, Stringer was honored by the U.S. Sports Academy when the organization decided to name its annual women’s coaching award in her honor. The C. Vivian Stringer Medallion Award of Sport for Women’s Coaching was handed out for the first time in July of 2002. In 2003, she was recognized by Sports Illustrated as one of the “101 Most Influential Minorities in Sports,” and during the summer of 2004 she received the Black Coaches Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

All that to say, when Vivian speaks, people listen. This lady walks the walk and has earned the right to speak and be heard. Many analysts believe that Vivian Stringer's press conference was the tipping point in the Imus saga. She put a face on the innocent victims - all 18-20 year old girls, and eloquently talked about her past and the pain that these careless words had inflicted. She wept as she shared from her heart. Her 2o minute press conference speech is a must read. Mr. Imus messed with the wrong woman.

Vivian recounted a traumatic incident when she was 16. There had never been a minority cheerleader in her high school. Friends encouraged her to try out but she was reluctant, fearing the consequences. Listen to Vivian tell the story.

As my father approached me about this, I said no. And he said some things that would ring true to me. It was a life-altering experience. And he said to me, “Vivian, if you don’t stand up for something, you’ll fall for anything. And you know what, this might not be about you or for you. But it is for future generations of young women that you need to make a stand. And I’ll leave you with that. Go to sleep and make your decision in the morning.”

Vivian went on to become the first minority cheerleader in her school, paving the way for other young women who followed in her foot steps.

Listen to the final words from her press conference.

And I say to them, to their parents, I thank them for entrusting me with their lives. I understand the magnitude of my responsibility. And with every breath in my body I will defend them, because I am honored, I am proud, so very proud and so fortunate that the good Lord has allowed me to be a coach. That’s an awesome responsibility.

And so to my coaches and to my team, I thank them. They have no reason to drop their heads. We hold our heads high with dignity, and as my father said, “with respect for ourselves.” And I ask that everyone, everyone who can hear my voice, please understand that we all need to make changes. We all need to make changes. Yes, it happens to be Mr. Imus, but beyond Mr. Imus, it’s all of us.

Do we understand what’s going on in our society? And maybe these young people who taught us, you know, how to be winners on the basketball court can also serve as examples of winners in life. You know in the Bible they say, even a child shall lead. Perhaps the babes will lead. These are smart ladies. These are classy young women. These are very bright young women. And I am thankful to this university for allowing me to serve as their coach and to all of the people who have been associated with them.

Vivian didn't ask to be thrust onto the stage for all the world to see. She didn't want to have to stand up in a press conference to defend the character of her team. She didn't want her Final Four appearance to be marred with controversy.

But Vivian learned at a young age from a father who loved her to not back down from a bully. She learned to hold her head up high with dignity. She learned to serve and lead with grace. She learned how to grieve losses in life that are larger than a won-loss record. Vivian learned how to forgive those who inflict pain and hurt. Vivian Stringer is a strong woman who knows when it's time to take a stand.

1 comment:

Ryan Rediger said...

What a show of character; I didn't know all of Ms. Stringer's history but I have a new level of respect for her and the way she stands up for what is right, and what she believes in. May the Lord bless her efforts.