Thursday, December 13, 2007

Let The Games Begin



The Mitchell Report was released today. In case you haven't been following the HGH scandal in baseball, former Senator George Mitchell was selected in March 2006 to head an independent probe into the drug scandal in baseball.

Many of the names released today were not new. BALCO had already linked Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield. But other names like Clemens and Pettit were surprises. The new report linked more than 50 players to performance-enhancing drugs who had not been previously associated with doping.

"Every American, not just baseball fans, ought to be shocked by that disturbing truth," Mitchell said. Baseball started testing for steroids in 2002 leading to the "growth" (no pun intended) in Human Growth Hormone use. Unlike steroids, HGH is not detectable through urine testing.

Mitchell said former baseball Commissioner Fay Vincent told him the problem was possibly "the most serious challenge that baseball has faced since the 1919 Black Sox scandal" - when Chicago White Sox players conspired with gamblers to affect the outcome of the World Series championship.

"By and large, the conduct of the players' association was a disgrace and an outrage," Dick Pound, chief of the World Anti-Doping Agency told Reuters. The head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Travis Tygart, said: "It is a sad, sad day for the national pastime and all who love America. All involved should be ashamed."

Disgrace, outrage, shame, crisis of integrity - all serious challenges to the game of baseball. And how will the players and their association respond to these serious charges? Just watch. There will be blame shifting, finger pointing, excuses and explanations galore. Here are just a few we might hear:
  • My agent made me do it.
  • I didn't know it was illegal.
  • I thougth it was clear cream.
  • My mom recommended it to me.
  • All my teammates were doing it.
  • I've never heard of HGH.
  • I used it but didn't inhale.

I'm eagerly waiting for one player, just one player, to step forward and take responsibility for his own actions. I'm waiting for just one person to say, "I used HGH and it was wrong. I made a mistake and I'm sorry. I've been a poor role model. I appeal to young people who look up to me to not make the same mistake that I made. HGH and steroids are very dangerous. I'm sincerely sorry for what I have done. I will use the rest of my career to repair the damage I have helped to cause and hope to regain your trust."

I'm waiting, but I'm not too hopeful. Baseball has ceased to be a sport and has become just another form of entertainment. The bottom line is the dollar. Decisions are made by whatever it takes to put people in the stands. Baseball has become just another game. The word "integrity" and baseball no longer belong in the same sentence. Baseball more closely resembles WWF (it's now officially called the World Wrestling Entertainment) or Roller Derby.

Here is how Wikipedia describes professional wrestling - a simulated sport and performing art which combines wrestling with theater. Baseball might want to take notice. That's not a bad definition. Professional Baseball - a simulated sport and performing art which combines baseball with theater.

Maybe there's a reason that major league baseball is referred to as The Show. Maybe baseball never was a sport. Maybe it was always about entertainment. Who really cares if their favorite actor or artist is using HGH or steroids? It's all about the latest song or movie.

So, if you're looking for some good entertainment this week, watch as baseball players run for cover, dodge accusations and parse verbs. It's all part of the script. It's good theater. Let the games begin!

2 comments:

Lance said...

Kim,
Looks like F.P. Santangelo is the guy you are looking for but didn't expect to find.

Lance

Kim Pagel said...

Thanks for the article and heads up regarding Santangelo! He's a stand up guy.