Tuesday, April 27, 2010

One Down, 47 to Go

Yesterday I went over to Mercy Fitness Center and had my follow up Active Metabolic Training assessment. I had my first assessment on December 14 of last year. They analyze your VO2 max, aerobic base and anaerobic threshold along with other basic measurements.

Based on my fitness goals, they developed a 12 week workout plan customized to my needs. The workouts require you to wear a heart rate monitor and to workout in various heart rate zones. The goal is to achieve maximum results in less time utilizing the knowledge to your metabolism rate.

I was skeptical about Active Metabolic Training as I thought it was just for those interested in performance training. I didn't realize that it's also for those who want to work on basic fitness and weight management. I qualified on both of those accounts. With the help and encouragement of Dr. John Brownell, I took the plunge last December in my pursuit of better health.

I was late in getting my reassessment scheduled, so I was curious about how that would effect my results. From December 14 thru March 9, I had worked out four times a week. I use the word workout generously. My workouts involved walking on my treadmill for 35-40 minutes at various speeds and inclines to get my heart rate into the specified zones. Not really hard stuff. But it did take a level of discipline to get all the workouts in.

The period of time included Christmas and New Years breaks along with a 12 day vacation! I planned out my weeks and found a way to get all 48 workouts into my schedule.

And the results? I was fairly pleased. My Body Mass Index decreased by 10%! I lost 7 pounds and feel healthier. I have more energy and motivation. I know my results would have even been even better if I had been assessed in March.

I'm now motivated to tackle another 12 week exercise program. I started yesterday. One workout down, 47 to go!

No comments: