Monday, April 12, 2010

The Worth of A Man



We heard Dave Dravecky speak tonight at the Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet. Dave's story is one of endurance, encouragement and hope. You can read more about the Dravecky's and their ministry on their website.

Dave's message is about finding our value and meaning in who we are, not what we do. He shared this poem, called The Worth of A Man by Carla Muir.

I once believed that what I did
placed value on my worth.
And walking where great men have walked,
I saw my dream give birth.

But dreams don't always last through life;
in fact, they often die.
The day I watched my dream pass on-
all alone stood I.

And in the searching of my soul,
God gave to me new peace.
Today I'm living other dreams-
the kind that will not cease.

In Jesus' eyes I'm valued so
much greater than I see
My worth is not in what I do;
it's in Christ's death for me.

Tonight, Dave Dravecky inspired us to persevere through adversity in order to reach a dream. He encouraged us to make a difference with our lives. That who we are and who we are becoming is more important that what we do. That cancer can take a man's limb, but that it can never rob him of his worth.

Tonight, Dave Dravecky reminded us about the source of the worth of a man.

No comments: