Saturday, June 18, 2011

Calling All Men

My Dad

The Pew Research Center just released a new study titled, A Tale of Two Fathers. In 1960, only 11% of children in the U.S. lived apart from their fathers. By 2010, that number had risen to 27%.

Fathers’ living arrangements are strongly correlated with race, ethnicity and socioeconomic status as measured by educational attainment. Black fathers are more than twice as likely as white fathers to live apart from their children (44% vs. 21%).























69% of Americans believe having a father in the home is essential for a child to grow up happily. Yet one out of four children in the US are growing up without a father in their home.

Fatherlessness is a growing crisis in America, one that under girds many of the challenges that families are facing. When dads aren't around, young people are more likely to drop out of school, use drugs, be involved in the criminal justice system, and become young parents themselves.

President Obama grew up without his dad, and has said that being a father is the most important job he has. That's why the President is joining dads from across the nation in a fatherhood pledge – a pledge that we'll do everything we can to be there for our children and for young people whose fathers are not around.

I'm thankful for a dad who was there for me as a child. A dad who loved me, provided for our family, taught me valuable life lessons, loved my mother and sacrificed so that I could have opportunities that he didn't have.

Growing up, my dad was my hero. And 60 years later I still admire and respect him. I've been given a rich heritage. And I've also had the privilege of passing the Pagel name and family reputation on to my four sons.

Me and Deshawn, my Lunch Buddy
Our families long for and deserve our best. Men, let's step up to our responsibilities in our families and in our community. Let's be the men that our sons and daughters aspire to become like.

Let's mentor boys and young men in our community into manhood. Become a Lunch Buddy at Polk School, coach a sports team, become a Boy Scout leader. Our children and our community are counting on us.

Defend the cause of the poor and the fatherless! Vindicate the oppressed and suffering!  Psalm 82:3

No comments: