Sunday, June 26, 2011

An Iconic Figure


Anyone who has lived in Iowa for long has heard of the Butter Cow at the Iowa State Fair. Norma "Duffy" Lyon, the "butter cow lady" died of a stroke today.

Norma and her family were from Toledo, Iowa, the same place where I grew up.She and her husband Joe had nine children. I graduated from South Tama High School with Emily, one of their daughters. Madelyn, my mother, and Norma were good friends. My mom was a frustrated artist and sculptor. She appreciated Norma's creativity and artistic ability.

Duffy Lyon first sculpted a cow from butter for the fair in 1960. She crafted 46 of the butter cow sculptures the fair has displayed over the past 100 years.

When I was in Poland to teach English classes, a student once brought a text book they used in school to study United States history and culture. I glanced through it and was surprised to see a photo of Duffy and one of her State Fair butter cows! Her fame had proceeded her all the way to Europe.

Today, Iowa lost an iconic figure. My sympathies go out to the Lyon family as they grieve the loss of their mother, grandmother and friend.

1 comment:

Martha T. said...

I was sorry to learn that she had died,but am glad that she has a worthy succesor.
AmazIng that the butter cow was so well known!