Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tune Up

New air filter/spark plug and my old air filter/spark plug!

Last week several of us took our new Young Adult Pastor, Seth Watson, out for lunch at the Flying Weenie. It's a right of passage for all new interns and pastors!

Over the course of our lunch conversation the topic of lawn mowing came up. So I told Seth, "Watch this Seth, I'm going to get Tye really excited. He's going to come right out of his chair!"

People began to guess what I would say next. The set up was complete. So I announced, "I've had my lawn mower for 11 years and I've never sharpened the blade!"

Now you need to know something about Tye Male. He's passionate about his grass and lawn mowing. He double fertilizes his lawn, and mows on Mondays and Thursdays. He double cuts his grass and has immaculately straight lines. He has a spare blade so that he can keep a sharpened one on his mower at all times. His lawn is a thing of beauty, admired by the entire neighborhood!

I'm not sure if Tye was shocked or amused by my shameful admission. Perhaps he felt compassion for a "backslidden" brother. I really don't know. All I do know is that several days later Tye showed up in my garage, removed the dull blade off my mower and took it in to be sharpened.

And today, he returned the blade, bolted it back on my mower, changed the spark plug and installed a new air filter. Neither the spark plug or air filter had been changed in 11 years either!

I can't wait to try out my "new mower!" What started out as a funny story has turned into an act of service. Tye is using an area of his passion to serve me in an area that I just "get by." Thanks Tye for your friendship and servant heart!

Which brings me to the idea of the importance of and need for regular tune ups. Neglect and even abuse of a lawn mower is one thing. Ignoring or failing to maintain things that are valuable to us can have catastrophic consequences.

I've learned a lot about this the hard way. Take these examples.
  • My marriage needs regular tune ups. Sharon and I are reading and discussing Love and War, a book on marriage. We've learned over the years that if we aren't intentionally moving toward one another, we are drafting apart. Ask Sharon to tell you the story about her engagement ring some time.
  • My physical body needs regular tune ups. I go in for dental check-ups every six months. I just had an appointment this past Monday. I ignored doing this when we were first married which resulted in years of dental work to correct the problems it created. Sharon and I go in for regular chiropractic, physical and eye exams.
  • Our finances need regular tune ups. I've balanced our check book monthly for our entire married life. But during the past five years we have worked harder at intentionally managing our finances with a spending plan that we monitor several times a week.
  • My spiritual life needs regular tune ups. I set aside 45-60 minutes 4-5 times a week for Bible reading, prayer, and time along with God. Weekly times of corporate worship feed my soul. Our small group and times of prayer help me connect with God and others for healthy spiritual growth.
Regular tune ups are important. Neglect them at your own peril! We care for the things we value.

This week I have enjoyed celebrating the 60th birthday of a friend, coffee with one of my sons, dinner and conversation with a missionary friend, conversation with Sharon about our marriage, breakfast with two friends, and coffee with several other friends.

This week, take time out of your busy schedule to spend with the people and projects that you really care about. Don't let the urgent squeeze out the important. Have that long-needed conversation. Begin that neglected project. Hug a family member. Check in with an old friend. Even mow the lawn! It's time for that long over due tune up!

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Yep, its time for me to mow my lawn again too. Thanks for the reminder. ;-)