Monday, June 20, 2011

In Need Of A Friend


Life is circling back around on Sharon and myself. We met at Iowa State University in 1971. It was my junior year and Sharon's freshman year. I knew Mark, Sharon's brother, who lived on my dorm floor in the Towers. Through Mark's encouragement, we both got involved with Bible studies and weekly meetings with The Navigators.

Which led to .... nothing at first. Ah but later (several years later), I began to notice this cute girl who had an awesome walk with God. And I decided I wanted to know her better. And the rest is history. I like to tell people that I liked Mark (her brother) so well that I married his sister!

The Navigator ministry connected us with a group of students who loved Jesus and who believed they could change the world. Scripture memory, Bible study, summer training programs, conferences and weekly gatherings helped lay a solid spiritual foundation in our lives that we are still building on today.

I'm thankful for Mark and the many Navigator staff who prayed with, cared for and invested in us during a very important time in our lives.

And now, 40 years later, one of my sons is sensing God calling him to the same ministry, to invest in the lives of students with The Navigators. Jon and his fiance, Trista, will be married October 22 of this year. It's their prayer that they will be fully funded by that time so they can be on campus, ministering with Kyle Nelson and the rest of the staff and student leaders at UNI.

It's my prayer that Jon and Trista will be used of God at UNI. That they would build relational connections with those far from God and equip those who are followers of Christ. That they would seek out freshmen students and others who are at a crossroads regarding who they are, what they believe and who they want to follow. That they would befriend students and help them grow into young adults.

And I hope they will be on the lookout for a quiet girl from a northeast Iowa farm and I shy guy from a small central Iowa town. They're a little overwhelmed right now. They hope they can make friends. They aren't sure what they want to do with the rest of their lives, but they hope the next year will be good. They're not real comfortable talking about spiritual things, but they would be interested in meeting people who have a vibrant, genuine faith. Something real, something that makes a difference in life. Keep a look out for these two. They are in need of a friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it awesome to reflect on God's faithfulness, His love, His goodness? Psalm 9:10 - "Those who know Your name will trust in You for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You."

Sharon Pagel said...

Oops, meant to leave my name with my comment!